Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What the World Eats

Above is the Ahmed family of Cairo (food expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53; family recipe: Okra and mutton), which is definitely my favorite of the bunch. It looks similar to the kind of fare I could get in the market in Jerusalem's Old City, where I onced survived on $25.00/week...God, I miss that food. The vegetables, btw, are tasty in a way typical American produce is not - one of the things I actually miss the most about life in the M.E.!



Japan: The Ukita family of Kodaira City
Food expenditure for one week: 37,699 Yen or $317.25
Favorite foods: sashimi, fruit, cake, potato chips

Chad: The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp

Food expenditure for one week: 685 CFA Francs or $1.23

Favorite foods: soup with fresh sheep meat

No comments: